Somerville 2018 Senior Property Tax Deferral:
(Due April 2nd)
If you are a homeowner, age 65 and older whose yearly income is less than $57,000, there is a program which may allow you to defer payment of your property taxes with a 3% interest rate until you sell your home or pass away. This deferral would place a lien on your property and requires payment of the deferred taxes and accrued interest upon sale of your home or at your passing. Take a look at this tool to see how it will impact the value of your asset over time. There are other exemptions as well, and you can find them here. Take this quick assessment below to see if you might qualify and contact the Assessing Office to learn more. 617-625-6600 ext. 3100
Are you eligible?
Take the brief survey below to find out if you may be eligible to take advantage of this program.
Answer the questions
Please answer the questions above to find out if you may be eligible.
Sorry, you are not eligible.
Unfortunately, this property tax deferral program is not available to you.
You may be eligible for other programs. See eligibility requirements for all programs here.
Good news! You may be eligible!You may indeed be eligible to take advantage of this deferral program.
Note about your home's mortgage
Homes with a mortgage will require approval of their mortgage lender to finalize enrollment in the program. Some lenders, especially the larger national lenders, may not agree to approve liens.
- Learn more this and other exemptions here. The deadline for filing is Monday, April 2, 2018
- Contact the Assessing Office at City Hall for more information: 617-625-6600 ext. 3100
- Use a tool to estimate how the program would affect your budget
- Can I participate if my home is in a trust? Yes, however, the applicant needs to be a beneficiary and trustee of the trust.
- Can other fees and taxes be deferred? You may be eligible to defer CPA payments under a different program called Chapter 44B. Charges for the high school construction override will already be included in the deferment, and you will have an option to defer water and sewer charges as well. Contact the Assessing Office for more information.
- Is there a maximum amount I can defer? You can defer taxes due the city up to 50% of the property value.
Change the information below to create different scenarios of what your home will be worth in the future.